We wanted to acknowledge that we are very aware of the ongoing high-profile issues in the news at the moment in relation to the death of George Floyd and the Black Lives Matter movement. As part of this we wanted to take time to reflect, educate ourselves and better understand the impact to allow us to respond in meaningful ways to our carers, staff and all those who work in partnership with us to make a lasting difference to all our children; but particularly our children of colour at this difficult and challenging time.
Everyone will have questions, those of us who are older as well as our young people. It is so important to us to continue learning what this movement has taught us so far. We strive to understand and empathise with those who have faced prejudice and inequality.
We have put together a list of resources to help you explain to your children about the Black Lives Matter movement and what is happening in the news at the moment.
For young people:
- How to talk to your children about race and racism
- Explaining Black Lives Matter vs All Lives Matter to young children
- Newsround special about racism and current affairs
- Why are people arguing about statues?
- Books and resources to help kids understand racism
- Book lists for ages 0-16+
- Resources and information for teenagers