We are seeking an experienced Employee Relations Lead to work as an integral part of a very busy and expanding team. We are a progressive independent fostering agency with ambitious plans centred on making a positive and lasting difference to children and young people.
As our Employee Relations Lead, you’ll support colleagues and managers on a range of ER matters, providing sound advice and coaching managers with people matters including capability, disciplinary, grievances, absence management, ACAS conciliation and tribunal claims.
You will have ownership for all case activity and on occasions may need to support directly on hearings while identifying trends and keeping up to date with relevant employment legislation. And you’ll collaborate with other colleagues across HR, acting as a role model for excellence in customer service and delivery. Using an approach that is solution focussed and empathetic, you’ll help managers resolve issues at an early stage before they become formal ER matters.
To be an excellent ER partner, you’ll need with a good understanding of current UK employment law. And you’ll need to have worked in a similar role in HR where you’ve used your coaching skills to make things better – you’ll naturally be an outstanding communicator and listener with the ability to collaborate and build great working relationships with your customers and peers.
Experience working in social care organisation would be advantageous but not essential.
In your role you will:
- Provide expert HR advice to managers on how to carryout investigation and disciplinary processes and support, coach and build manager confidence in dealing with case activity.
- Ensure that case activity is managed effectively and in line with our policies and procedures and best practice.
- Develop and deliver process and skills training to further improve the quality across the organisation.
- Provide a critical oversight of all documentation and providing constructive feedback and coaching to managers.
- Identifying learning from case reviews, implementing change and sharing with appropriate audiences as part of reflective practice.
- To oversee the end to end process and ensure that cases are managed within appropriate timescales.
- Review and monitor KPI’s and working with all services to ensure that these are met wherever possible.
- Managing early conciliation and looking for solutions to mitigation potential tribunal claims.
- Have the opportunity to work on organisational projects representing the HR service.
Skills, qualifications and/or experience required:
- HR or Employment Law Degree qualified.
- Having proven HR experience in a similar role and organisation
- A good understanding of employment law to advise customers and solve problems.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills and able to prioritise and multitask on order to deliver excellent customer service.
- Great communication skills and able to influence diplomatically and effectively at different levels.
- Analytical skills to solve problems and identifying improvements to ways of working – and suggesting improvements to HR policy and process.
- Advanced coaching skills helping managers to manage the task rather than doing the task for them.
- Excellent listening skills so that your customers feel they’ve really been heard and understood.
- Ability to share your knowledge, learning from others and asking when you’re unsure.
- Build excellent relationships around HR and the whole organisation and work collaboratively with others to solve issues.
- Work well under pressure when there’s a lot on
- Being pragmatic, resilient and motivated to do the right thing at the right time and improve overall quality.
We are looking for applicants who possess a real drive and share our vision, in return we offer a competitive salary, contributory pension scheme, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and an additional a day off for your birthday! As well as opportunities for career development.
The recruitment process aims to create and maintain a safe workforce and contains robust vetting procedures. The successful applicants will be appointed subject to satisfactory references and enhanced DBS check. Please note that Compass reserves the right to close this vacancy early upon receipt of sufficient applications.
Interviews: Friday 16th April 2021