MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Review Meeting is central to the Review process. It is where matters arising from the Review reports can be properly explored. The deliberations of the Review Meeting and the contents of the Review Report inform the Independent Review Officers recommendation regarding the Foster Carers’ continuing approval as a Foster Carer and their Terms of Approval.
- Critically read the Review paperwork sent to them prior to the Review Meeting.
- Identify salient areas that should be discussed at the Review Meeting and any matters that need to be explored with relevant parties beforehand (via SSW/Line Manager).
- Formulate an agenda covering all pertinent areas to be covered in the Review Meeting.
- Chair the meeting in a facilitative, inclusive and rigorous manner.
- Draw out key matters explored in the Review Meeting.
- Make a substantiated and properly evidenced recommendation, drawing on the deliberation of the Review Meeting and the Review paperwork (using TSD Standards/Fostering Competencies).
- Complete Report /Detailed Review Meating Minutes ensuring that all the above have been covered.
- Where issues of professional practice arise in respect of staff or carers pertaining to their capability, performance or conduct, the reviewing officer must bring these to the attention of the regions Head of Fostering.
The following advises of areas for discussion during the Foster Carers Review. The list is not intended to be exhaustive and should be considered along with the information included in the Review paperwork:
- Strengths of Foster Carers
- Outstanding actions from the last Review.
- Significant changes since the last Review, including employment/finances/house moves/health issues/household composition/impact of fostering on the family.
- Emergency Placements/Exemptions in line with Regulations.
- Issues emerging from updated statutory checks.
- H & S/Risk Assessments, etc.
- Any gaps in meeting/maintaining standards/competencies.
- Training and Development.
- Any changes to Approval and evidence to support any disagreements.
- Additional support needs if a change of approval is being recommended.
- Future Actions:
- Referral to the Fostering Panel
- Training and Development needs
- Outstanding H & S/Safe Care
- Requirement for Re-assessment
- Others as identified during the Review Meeting